We're here to help

8227 1970


Category: Family Law

Do I need a lawyer?

Tuesday, 31 July, 2018

How the right representation can guide you through the process of achieving a property settlement.

Read more

The ongoing costs of a one night stand.

Tuesday, 26 June, 2018

Online dating has increasingly become a more widely accepted way of meeting people. Many users report using dating apps for one-night stands and never speak to their match again. But what if your one-night stand turned into a pregnancy or as some people are referring to it, a ‘Tinder Surprise!’

Read more

Child Support Agreements

Thursday, 31 May, 2018

Parents can make a child support agreement either prescribing the amount of child support to be paid or altering an administrative assessment. Agreements can be made in relation to payment of child support by periodic and lump sum payments.

Read more

Adult Child Maintenance

Thursday, 1 March, 2018

If a child or children over 18 can’t support themselves they can still receive financial support for education expenses or if they have a mental or physical disability.

Read more

Divorce; do you need a Will?

Wednesday, 31 January, 2018

The Wills Act provides a will is revoked by marriage or the commencing of a registered relationship unless the will is expressed to be made in contemplation of marriage or the registration of a relationship. If you die without a will or your will has been revoked you are intestate. If you enter a new relationship your new partner is entitled to administer your estate. If you do not have a new partner the children of your old marriage or relationship are entitled to administer your estate. If your children are under the age of 18 their parent can apply to administer your estate on your children's behalf.

Read more

Just leave!

Sunday, 31 December, 2017

Courts are reluctant to order a party to leave their home. It is a very serious matter to turn a person out of their home. Exclusive occupancy can be applied for when parties are still living together or when a party has had to vacate the property and wishes to return. The Court will consider whether the relationship between the parties is such that it would not be reasonable, sensible or practicable to expect them to remain in the home with each other. It is not sufficient to exclude one party from the home simply to allow the other party to live more peacefully.

Read more

Is my Binding Financial Agreement binding? A Case Analysis: Thorne & Kennedy

Friday, 10 November, 2017

Binding Financial Agreements or ‘Prenuptial Agreements’ can help couples plan their financial future. Couples can use Binding Financial Agreements to resolve how their finances will be managed during, or following the breakdown of their relationship. In the case of Thorne v Kennedy [2017] HCA 49 however, the parties’ intentions in entering into the Binding Financial Agreement were not upheld by the Court.

Read more

You and your lawyer

Tuesday, 7 November, 2017

How to have a good relationship with your lawyer

Read more

Call us now on 8227 1970 and we will chat with you over the phone, free of charge.

Family law, divorce, wills and estate specialists for Adelaide and South Australia.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Nothing in this blog should be deemed to create or constitute a solicitor-client relationship between any readers and Swan Family Lawyers. A solicitor-client relationship is created only when this firm agrees to represent someone and a written engagement agreement or engagement letter is signed by both the client and solicitor. In all cases, the reader should consult his or her own solicitor for advice. The information in this blog is based on Australian law.