Protect yourself online. Learn more.

We're here to help

8227 1970

What Is A Family Consultant And How Are They Involved?

What Is A Family Consultant And How Are They Involved?

A Family Consultant is an appointed psychologist and/or social worker who specialises in children and family issues.

A meeting with a Family Consultant may be ordered by the Court under the Family Law Act after proceedings have been issued in children cases. The Court may also order that your child attend a meeting with a Family Consultant.

The role of the Family Consultant is set out in section 11A of the Family Law Act and includes:

1. assisting and advising those involved in the proceedings;

2. assisting and advising the Court, and giving evidence in relation to the proceedings;

3. helping resolve disputes that are the subject of the proceedings;

4. reporting to the Court;

5. advising the Court about appropriate family counsellors, family dispute resolution practitioners and courses, programs and services to which the Court can refer the parties to the proceedings.

The Court may also order that there be a report prepared by a Family Consultant.

You must be mindful that your discussion with the Family Consultant is not confidential and may be used in Court.

If you are ordered by the Court to attend a meeting with a Family Consultant you must attend. If you fail to attend the Family Consultant is obliged to report to the Court of such failure under the Family Law Act.

Call us now on 8227 1970 and we will chat with you over the phone free of charge.

Family law, divorce, wills and estate specialist family lawyers for Adelaide and South Australia.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Nothing in this blog should be deemed to create or constitute a solicitor-client relationship between any readers and Swan Family Lawyers. A solicitor-client relationship is created only when this firm agrees to represent someone and a written engagement agreement or engagement letter is signed by both the client and solicitor. In all cases, the reader should consult his or her own solicitor for advice. The information in this blog is based on Australian law.