Protect yourself online. Learn more.

We're here to help

8227 1970



Section 69V of the Family Law Act 1975 (FLA) provides that where the parentage of a child is in issue, the court may make an order requiring any person to give material evidence.

Part VII, Division 12, Subdivision D of the FLA sets out the following parentage presumptions:

•Where a child is born to a woman in a heterosexual marriage, there is a presumption that the child is the child of the woman and her husband.

•Where a heterosexual couple has cohabited not less than 20 weeks before the birth the man is presumed to be the father of the child.

•Where a parent’s name appears on the birth registration certificate.

•Where there is a written acknowledgement by a man of paternity.

•Where there is a finding by a court.

In child support matters where a party wishes to rebut a parentage presumption testing will be required. The court can make orders for participation in parentage testing if the court is of the opinion that the information obtained might assist in determining the parentage of a child.

The court has the power to make a declaration as to parentage which it will do after having regard to whatever evidence is available to them in each particular matter. A declaration as to parentage made under the FLA is conclusive evidence of parentage for the purposes of Commonwealth law, but it is in itself not a parenting order.

If found not to be the father of a child a person is entitled to seek repayment of amounts paid pursuant to s 143 of the Child Support (Assessment) Act 1989 .

Call us now on 8227 1970 and we will chat with you over the phone free of charge.

Family law, divorce, wills and estate specialist family lawyers for Adelaide and South Australia.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Nothing in this blog should be deemed to create or constitute a solicitor-client relationship between any readers and Swan Family Lawyers. A solicitor-client relationship is created only when this firm agrees to represent someone and a written engagement agreement or engagement letter is signed by both the client and solicitor. In all cases, the reader should consult his or her own solicitor for advice. The information in this blog is based on Australian law.