Protect yourself online. Learn more.

We're here to help

8227 1970


Do you, as a grandparent, have the right to spend time with your grandchildren?

Tuesday, 11 April, 2017

Section 65C(ba) of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) (“the Act”) provides that a grandparent is able to apply for a parenting order. A grandparent is able to make application to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia for their grandchildren to live with, spend time with and/or communicate with them if it is in the children’s best interests.

Read more

The Role of a Family Relationship Consultant

Thursday, 6 April, 2017

The best way for people who are divorcing to resolve any disputes is to use a Collaborative professional team.

Read more

Am I in a De Facto Relationship?

Tuesday, 21 March, 2017

A de facto relationship is defined in Section 4AA of the Family Law Act 1975. The Act provides that a person is in a de facto relationship with another person, whether they be of the same or of the opposite sex, if they have a relationship as a couple living together on a genuine domestic basis.

Read more

What Is a Child Support Agreement?

Tuesday, 28 February, 2017

The child support legislation allows parents to reach agreement on the amount of child support to be paid. A child support agreement must meet the requirements of the legislation and has to include matters that can be dealt with in a child support agreement. Once parents have made a child support agreement, either parent can apply to the Registrar to have it accepted.

Read more

When to mediate

Thursday, 12 January, 2017

Consider the benefits of mediation before litigation

Read more

Take Time Out

Wednesday, 11 January, 2017

Welcome to 2017! For many of you reading this you may be viewing the year with some trepidation.It is likely you are facing a relationship breakdown or are already in the throes of one.

Read more

Preserve Relationships

Friday, 9 December, 2016

Preserving Your Relationships with Collaborative Practice

Read more

Christmas Holiday Time with the Children

Monday, 5 December, 2016

With the festive season upon us, you may be thinking of your children and the care arrangement options available to you for Christmas Day and the holiday period. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to children’s care arrangements as a variety of factors can influence a decision made by a Judge but there are some orders that are more common than others which tend to occur in the majority of family law matters.

Read more

Family Law and Social Media

Friday, 25 November, 2016

In recent times, people have become heavily dependent on social media as a form of communication and as an avenue to publicly voice their opinion.  In family law proceedings, it is common for parties to use social media, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, to vent their resentment against a former partner or their frustration with the family court process.  What most people are unaware of is that section 121 of the Family Law Act 1975 provides it is a punishable offence for a person to publish or disseminate to the public any account of proceedings that identifies a party to or related to the proceedings. 

Read more

How is Collaborative Practice different from Litigation?

Thursday, 24 November, 2016

Collaborative Practice is a process which resolves conflict without going to court.

Read more

Call us now on 8227 1970 and we will chat with you over the phone free of charge.

Family law, divorce, wills and estate specialist family lawyers for Adelaide and South Australia.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Nothing in this blog should be deemed to create or constitute a solicitor-client relationship between any readers and Swan Family Lawyers. A solicitor-client relationship is created only when this firm agrees to represent someone and a written engagement agreement or engagement letter is signed by both the client and solicitor. In all cases, the reader should consult his or her own solicitor for advice. The information in this blog is based on Australian law.